16.07.10

Day 19


As you can probably see from today's photos, yesterday was not a good day.  I probably should have just stayed in bed, but someone tells me that days like this build character.  After yesterday, I should have a lot of it.

Steve and I headed downtown around 5 and Steve offered to run the light-meter.  I'm a bit of a control freak, and letting someone else have my light-meter physically hurts.  Honestly!  My chest tightens up at the thought of giving someone my things and trusting them to do it properly.



It's probably because I'm such a mouse when it comes to managing people, that I can't give them clear instructions and when they mess up, I just kinda brush it off even though I'm boiling inside.  "Aw shucks, don't worry that you just crashed my car because you were having sex while driving.  I never told you not to do that so really, it's my fault, not yours!"  The chest-tightening was a good indicator that I need to let go a little bit since I'm married to the guy now, so I handed Steve my light-meter (along with a look that wilted his hair).

It was going great and I was getting (what I thought were) some great shots.  We found the most amazing stuff in Inglewood- octagonal tile floors from the 1920's, shiny black bicycles, an old building named "Seabloom".  I was so excited!  Life could not have been better for those few moments.

Then I found out Steve had been metering at the wrong ISO for almost half a roll.  As in, all my photos were going to be totally black.  Crap.  Oh well.  He took me for dinner, fed me pasta and coffee and all was (mostly) forgiven.

We headed out west again, but since I had dragged my feet leaving town, we were going to get to Cochrane just at the tail end of sunset.  Thank goodness for iPhone maps, because mine showed us a side road that was closer and overlooked the mountains.  I never expected it to be as incredible as it was.  This windy, gravel road opened up to a beautiful little valley.  I thought that my luck was turning.  It was gorgeous!  Steve metered again and I took a polaroid for a test shot.

It takes a few minutes to develop a polaroid, and the sun was setting really fast, so I thought I was safe to shoot a few negatives.  Apparently I wasn't.  Again, it was metered wrong.  Steve thought that the 2s shown meant 1/2 second.  It doesn't.  Another half dozen frames down the toilet.  Then I needed to load a new pack of polaroid.

Remember that $33 pack of instant Fuji I was talking about last week?  Well, there's a band of paper you need to pull out before you can take any pictures.  It jammed.  And then it tore.  Then the tab you use to pull out the frame tore and jammed.  I had to open the back to get it out, tried another one and it jammed and tore, too, and this time I couldn't get to it.  I decided to wait until I got home to get it out in the dark and loaded my film back.  Only it didn't have any frames left, and I had forgotten to bring an extra roll of film.

"Oh well," I thought "I got some good shots today.  Tomorrow I'll send out the rolls I finished off tonight."  I got home to unload the film from my Hasselblad.  It was loaded backwards.  At this point, I was pretty pissed.  Then I decided to check the other back that I had loaded with film this afternoon.  Big surprise.  It was backwards, too.

"Eff it.  I'm going to bed."

Wish me better luck today :)

Love,
Hearts & Photos

UPDATE:  The more I look at that top picture, the more I like it.  What's not to love about chemical crusts?

UPDATE:  Ok, not every shot sucked and I feel bad for not giving you anything nice to look at today.  Here's one I really liked.  Double exposure!

| Follow heartsandphotos on Twitter |

No comments:

Post a Comment